Saturday, August 15, 2009

Julie & Julia

So... after finally getting this blog going last weekend and deciding this was going to be my inspiration and accountability to make some changes to my chaotic life, I took a GIANT leap that very afternoon (last Friday) & SNUCK OUT to catch "Julie & Julia" @ the 1:35p showing.

In the middle of the work day.

By myself!

Said, "I've got to run out for a bit, I'll be back later" and off I went. It was GREAT!

Well, sneaking out, taking charge of my day/time, feeling empowered and checking something off of my to-do-list was GREAT. The movie? Well, not so much.

First off, let me explain that I would NEVER go see this movie for the entertainment value alone. I had an ulterior motive: I wanted to check out this blogging thing. Otherwise, I would not have wasted my time on this movie. I could tell from the trailers that it wouldn't hold my interest... I am not a cook, I don't aspire to be, I'm not a Julia Child fan or follower and frankly, a movie (or book) about finding yourself by cooking thru a cook book sounds like a complete snoozer to me.

And it was. Except for Meryl Streep as Julia Child... she totally captivated me and sucked me in. I think Julia Child is much more interesting than I ever would have imagined and am very tempted to read her "My Life in France" at some point in time... If this entire movie would have been about Julia Child I probably would have really enjoyed it, although I probably would NOT have gone to see it. As for Julie Powell, the "Julie" of "Julie & Julia" she did nothing for me, altho I think Amy Adams is delightful & I do enjoy her. Julie Powell tho? Whiner. Big time. Wah, wah, wah... At one point her friend agrees when she calls herself a bitch, but I didn't see "the bitch." There was this fight that was so bad her husband left for a few days. I didn't get it. OMGosh she stresses over "deboning a duck." Heck, she boiled live lobsters on her kitchen stove and is freaking out out over deboning a duck? Are you kidding me???

I just didn't get it.

Of course, true to form, I have since done some research on her and learned that she has an affair and writes a 2nd book about it... I don't know. Not really against affairs, but she just seems a little unappreciative, ungrateful and whiney to me. Guess you could say, "I'm not a fan."

But I'm glad I went! It was a great way to spend an afternoon, truly. Am going to scrap about it one day, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment